Am I working Out too Much?

Quote · 1539 days ago · 0 people like this ·

So, I am in a state of confusion haha.    I am trying to increase my exercise.    I was walking 7,000 steps a day and now I am trying do 12,000 steps a day.   For me, I really have to push hard to get this done because I have a desk job with very little walking.   

Anyway, here is the situation.   For about a month, I wasn't really losing any weight.    I also wasn't losing inches.  The weekend of May 24th and 25th, I was wearing some flip fops and rubbed a blister on my foot. So, I didn't exercise for a week to give it time to heal (It was bad enough to leave a scar).  Then, all of a sudden I dropped like 5 pounds in a week.  This week, I am exercising again and working hard to reach 12,000 steps.   I just wanted to gauge it. So, I got on the sale this morning and I have lost 8/10 of a pound.   And, I have lost no more inches.   Now, it is fine I am not losing quicker. I had to share all of this to ask a question haha.

I decided to research this morning if too much exercise could cause a person to not lose weight.   This is what I found:

Inability to Lose Weight
No matter how often or long you’re working out, if you’re overtraining, you may see an increase in fat and a decrease in muscle tissue. This is because of an increase in cortisol release that’s associated with overtraining. Cortisol increases the storage of fat, causing your weight loss efforts to plateau. In 2012, a study by the University of Copenhagen found that those who worked out at a moderate intensity for 30 minutes for 13 weeks lost significantly more weight than those who worked out vigorously for an hour a day.

Overtraining. If you exercise too much, the body sometimes responds by decreasing the amount of calories you burn during the rest of your day.

Aerobic exercise receives the most attention because it strengthens the heart muscles, helps the lungs and is beneficial for most people. (1) However, if done to excess or without sufficient food, aerobic exercise can be physically stressful and induce adrenal hormone production which causes the body to deposit rather than burn fat. If done without eliciting the release of adrenal hormones, it promotes weight loss very effectively because it boosts your metabolic rate for about 36 hours after exercising, thus causing you to use more calories regardless of your activity for the next day and a half. (2) If your insulin levels are low and stable during that time, those burned calories can come from stored body fat.

So, I am asking others opinions.  Do you think you can work out too much? I did read that it is almost impossible to over exert on walking when exercising. But, they are probably not a 400 pound man either lol.

Join me at Dietbet for a game starting 6/1/14 - http://www.dietbetter.com/games/43682
Quote · 1527 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Hi Rick....

I hear your confusion!  I feel your pain!  Just do not give up!!!!!!! This is way too important!

For years, I would hear how good it was to get out and exercise, but it always took me 4 weeks or more to notice any weight loss, and would often see gains.  I had doctors, nurses, weight watchers leaders, and exercise class leaders tell me I was LYING because I would be gaining weight.  HA!

Then I found a great system.  If you want to know more about it, feel free to message me, because I am guessing I can't really 'advertise' it here.

When I follow it, to the letter, it WORKS.  I was almost 300 pounds at one time.  I like that this system of eating is very much like the system associated with the exercises.

You never have to work out more than 30 minutes 6 days a week to get results.  Body builders and athletes in training are supplementing to achieve their results so they can workout for hours a day.  Changing your way of eating  and being consistent with your 30 minutes workouts could help you.  You do need to eat enough, and exercise not too much.  Also, I am a strong believer that weightloss is not an exact science.  It has taken me 8 years to lose 70 pounds, and picked up on this program to help me get back in the saddle since I was starting to backslide a little.  The 2-3 hours eating schedule is right on, and this program helps you stick to it.  I haven't been here long enough to see what the exercise recommendations are, however.

There are so many factors involved with what you see on a scale on any given day.  How did you sleep?  what did you eat or drink 2-3 days ago?  how hard did you work out, and are you sore?  What medications are you taking?  What is stressing you out (including the scale or overexercising)?

The best thing is to not focus on the number on the scale, but on your nutrition, your hydration, and how you feel ... keep walking, throw in some resistance training at some point, start looking at interval training, then, in a couple weeks, weigh yourself.  7,000 to 12,000 steps is a big jump. Check with your doctor to see what might be going on.  Show him your food plan and exercise plan.  Ask him if there are meds that make it harder to lose weight.  You might be one of those folks that work and work and then, at the point of giving up, lose a bunch all at once!  Just do not give up!

This post is 12 days old, but if you are still out there, feel free to buddy up with me... message me, whine at me, whatever it takes!

"...just keep swimming....keep on swimming...swimming....swimming..."

Mary